Diamond Head Trail (Hiking)
Breath taking 360 degree views of diamond head!
Diamond Head Crater is a stunning volcanic landmark that has captured the attention of visitors from the beginning of time. Ancient Hawaiians first named the extinct volcano Le’Ahi for its strong Ahi-Tuna-fish brow like appearance. Later in the 1800’s, British sailors were fooled by the glittering stones that are embedded at the top of the crater. No diamonds were discovered, but Le’Ahi received its new name “Diamond Head”. The Diamond Head trail itself was originally built in 1908 by the US Army, and used for many decades as part of the Fort Rugur military base. Artillery cannons, cement bunkers and an observation deck were built on the summit of the Diamond Head Crater. Today Diamond Head has been turned into a state national park. You will need to enter the Diamond Head park from the eastern side, through a short tunnel that will bring you into the center of the crater, where you will start your 560 foot climb.
How To Get There
- Address: Diamond Head Rd, Honolulu, HI 96816
- Drive through Kapiolani Park (located at the end of Waikiki) headed towards Diamond Head on Kalakaua Blvd
- Kalakaua Blvd turns into Poni Moi Rd
- Turn Right onto Diamond Head Rd and follow this road around the crater.
- Make sure you merge Left to stay on Diamond Head Rd, when the road intersects with Kahala Ave
- After you pass 18th Ave on the right hand side, make your next left turn towards the Diamond Head Crater. There is no street name, but large “Diamond Head State Monument” sign that is posted.
- Follow this road up through a tunnel that leads to the center of the Diamond Head Crater.
What to bring ?
- Sunscreen and lots of it the sun can get very brutal as there are not much shaded areas on the trail.
- Make sure to pack a water bottle
- closed toe shoes
- camera to capture all the fun.
Trail Condition: Sometimes wet and slippery
Distance Walked: 1.4 miles, 2 hours walking time
Where To Park
- There is a small entrance fee for parking and visitors.
- $5 per car, $10 plus for commercial vehicles
- $1 per visitor
- Park Hours
- 6am to 6pm everyday
- Trail entrance closes at 4:30pm
We offer several different rental items to help make your experience that much better and get you from point A to point B.
- Mopeds - a moped or scooter opens the door for endless fun and our premium model can be drove all around the island ask us for more info.
- Motorcycles- Require Motorcycle endorsement, we have everything from Harleys to Hondas and everything in between, check out our rentals tab to see our full list on inventory.
- Bicycle - Great option for exercise and fun at the same time we offer pedal assist bike and regular road bikes to fit each rider.
- Electric scooters- would be good for one ride there and back.
- Also check out our associated rental tab under each experience it will list our recommended rentals for each experience.
honolulu , hi 96815
ReviewsSign in to leave a review
Be the first to leave a review.